Extreme Heat Safety Tips
Did You Know? It is NEVER safe to leave a baby, toddler, disabled person, or pet locked in a car. On average, 37 children die from heat related deaths from being trapped inside vehicles.
- Install window air conditioners snugly; insulate if necessary.
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window reflectors (for use between windows and drapes), such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Weather-strip doors and sills to keep cool air in.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings, or louvers. (Outdoor awnings or louvers can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80 percent.) Keep storm windows up all year.